1.14.2009

Going Home

I have been traveling extensively for several months (I am currently sitting in the lobby of The Algonquin Hotel in New York City). And today I had such a distinct case of homesickness that I felt like writing about it.

Homesickness Can Be Good
Going home. You know that feeling you get when you've been away for just long enough that you want to go home? I've got three more days before I will be going home, and I've already got the feeling.

The feeling is occurring in part because of the sheer number of days I've been on the road lately, but in addition, because of the number of homecoming celebrations I've had, I find that feeling to be oh so sweet. I like going home.

Traveling Is Fun
Don't get me wrong, I love to travel. I had an extended vacation over the holidays, and before and since then, I've had many days of business travel. I absolutely love it... I also absolutely love going home.

I have two dogs and a cat. The reception I receive from them alone makes me long for home. I also have some of the dearest friends that anyone could have, and I miss them terribly. I have a close family that keeps up with me, and they make me feel like they miss me as well. I love all of them, and each time I return home, we get together and I can honestly say that the emotions of love, satisfaction, and appreciation can be very overpowering.

Emotional Guidance System
I am an emotional type. I am very in tune with my emotions. They serve as a sort of guidance system for me. I can always make a connection between what I am experiencing or thinking about and what I am feeling at the same time. Those things go together, and although I generally write about the subject as a way to gauge whether I am in sync with the flow of life, today I am just celebrating the overall experience; the thinking, the feeling, the joy of going home.

Take Stock
I encourage you today to take stock of those things that remind you of home. Even if you seldom or never travel far from your own home, it is so rewarding to remember those things that make home what it is. I am aware that some of us seem to have more to consider when remembering those things and some of us have less. I also recognize that for some of us home may not be such a happy place. I am saddened by that reality, however, I believe the old adage that "home is where the heart is."

Listen To Your Heart
Going home for some of us may be as simple as taking the steps to rediscover our heart. My friend, your heart is worth the time it may take to become reacquainted with. Are you lost? Are you hurting? Listen to your heart. It is your home. It is good, and it is always looking out for you. Trust your heart -- go home to it today. The reception you receive may just be enough to remind you of how good you are. You are good indeed. I love you.

Peace -- jb

4 comments:

  1. That center core of our being is where Spirit resides. It calls us to beautiful places and creates Peace within us no matter what is going on around us. Thanks, Jeff for your beautful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words Pam.... peace is so important. We can change the world.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff,
    A dear friend of mine, Robin Easton, pointed my in your direction. It's great to be here.

    The idea of listening to your heart - this is so powerful for me right now. It's where I'm at - finding that "home" within me - and really getting to know this spot. And it is truly wonderful. Reading here reminds of how important this journey is for me....thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lance... Robin is indeed a special person. I am delighted that she pointed you here. If I can ever help you, just let me know.

    We are all one and it is very good to meet you.

    Peace -- jb

    ReplyDelete

Have any thoughts on this post? I'd really love to hear from you. Be Peace, Make Peace -- jb