8.06.2008

You Are Good

Well, I was going to leave the previous poem post (say that 3 times really fast) as today's blog. I wanted to post something quick because NeNe (my wife Cornelia) wanted to take the pontoon boat out for a sunset cruise and I was making us late. The poem was actually written a couple of weeks ago and is a reflection of some memories that have accumulated over the last several years. Memories... hmm.

So, here's the deal:

We went out on this boat. It was warm but a little breezy and we had our two dogs, NeNe(the dog) -- not my wife -- and General (the other dog). It was calm and the water was like glass. We like to ride in the wind and sometimes we don't even speak. We're very comfortable in our skins and with each other so we don't have a need to fill the air.

This air was sweet. The clouds were hovering and the rumble of thunder could be heard in the distance. You could smell rain in the area. The sun setting behind a variety of cloud structures made quite a show of her colors for us.

While caught up in this imagery, I was simultaneously caught up in thoughts of my own, small, private world. I was lost in my brain, thinking of my stuff, enjoying the water fowl and the crickets, when suddenly the two worlds I was traversing converged.

For me, it was symbolic; a sign from above; reminiscent of past stirrings of promise. It wasn't prominent, you sort of had to look for it but there it was... a rainbow.

A rainbow.

For some, it is the old testament-God's promise of preserving human life always. For some it's what happens when sunlight passes through moisture in the air. For me, the rainbow has historically appeared during times in my life when promises were scarce. Times of uncertainty; times when promises that could be trusted were hard to find; times when I needed a sign.

At the same time, some promises are unique to me; promises that reside deep inside of me; promises that only apply to me and my reason for being. You know how sometimes, even when things look pretty shaky, there can be a peace because you say to yourself something like: Huh-huh, not me... I know everything is going to be ok. All is well, and I am fine.

All is well, and I am fine.

I found myself saying that tonight. I know it's true. You know how you know that you know that you know? I know. So I know I'll be fine. But this blog isn't just about me. Really it's not. It's about us/we... you.

How about you? How do you feel? Are you hopeless? Do you need a promise? Do you need a sign or a symbol?

I don't know if you pray or if you believe that you're on your own here and that's it, that's all, or what... I don't know anything about you, but I do know this: If you sincerely ask for, desire, want something, believing that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain; if you can conceive of it as being true in your mind, picturing whatever it is as being the way you desire it to be, it can be. You can get that promise from books ranging as far as from the bible to "Think and Grow Rich."

We don't require a sign or a symbol. We like them, but we sometimes are forced to go deep and just trust. In times like these we get the chance to see what we are made of.

What are you made of?

I was reminded this evening that I am made out of the same Divine stuff that God is. I can choose to believe in me and my inherent goodness (just like God does), or I can fall for the lies that the world throws at me and choose to believe that I don't have what it takes; that if I don't prescribe to someone else's version of the truth, denying the truth that resides in me, I am doomed to fail.

I can choose to believe that everything is good and so am I. I choose that by the way. I chose it again earlier tonight. You can too.

Choose.

Choose to believe in you. I believe in you.

May you sleep in blissful peace this night, knowing that you are good.

You are good. -- jb

Join my blog network
on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts on this post? I'd really love to hear from you. Be Peace, Make Peace -- jb